One of my greatest joys in ministry is connecting women with resources that have made an impact on my own walk as a wife, mother, and daughter of God. I believe there is great value in keeping yourself “fed” spiritually, and gaining fresh perspective from authors that have walked through similar seasons. These are some of my hand-picked favorites.
I don’t know about you, but I find it very easy to get caught up in the busyness of work, school, family, even church – and barely find time to read anything, let alone the Bible! I am reminded of the passage in Luke 10:38-40, where Mary sat at the feet of Jesus while Martha prepared dinner. Like many stepmoms, I identify with the task-oriented Martha…so how do we find time to immerse myself in the Word? Here are some great options for stepmommas on the go!
- Bible Gateway. This website (with complimentary mobile app) is owned by Bible publisher Zondervan and free to use. The website offers devotionals and reading plans in many different translations to help you get started spending daily time in the Word.
- YouVersion. Check out this app that reads the Bible to you, and makes it easy to compare versions, make notes and even access a lot of the content offline. They also offer a kid-friendly app that reads the major Bible stories with interactive animations.
- Word of Promise. This dramatized audio recording of the Bible is available via CD and download, and features hundreds of actors that bring God’s Word to life! My sweet mama bought me the CDs after listening to them herself – it’s a really neat way to walk through the Bible stories on your commute or exchanging the stepkiddos.
- Quiet Moments for the Stepmom Soul by Laura Petherbridge, Gayla Grace & Heather Hetchler
- The Smart Stepmom by Ron L. Deal & Laura Petherbridge
- A Career Girl’s Guide to Becoming a Stepmom by Jacqueline B. Fletcher
- Stepmonster by Wednesday Martin, Ph.D.
Step & Blended Families
- Blending Families by Jimmy Evans and Frank Martin
- The Smart Stepfamily by Ron L. Deal
- Better Than Blended Workbook by Willie & Rachel G. Scott
- Blissfully Blended by Julie Rayburn
- Divorce Poison by Dr. Richard A. Warshak
For Kids in Blended Families
- I Have a Stepmom: Hooray! by Jennifer Zelman
- I Have a Stepmom by Colleen LeMaire
- My Two Houses by Karina Hudson
- Dinosaurs Divorce by Laurie Krasny Brown and Marc Brown
- Bell and the Blended Pack (series) by Carrie Ellis-Berg
Divorce & Remarriage
- The Christian Chick’s Guide to Surviving Divorce by Suzanne Reeves
- The YOU Plan by Connie Wetzell and Michelle Borquez
- You Can Survive Divorce by Jen Grice
- Saving Your Second Marriage Before It Starts by Drs. Les and Leslie Parrott
- The Heart of Remarriage by Gary and Greg Smalley
Calling & Identity
- Women at War by Jan Greenwood
- Made for More by Irini Fambro
- Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World by Joanna Weaver
- Becoming Myself by Stasi Eldredge
- Stumbling into Grace by Lisa Harper
- Captivating by John & Stasi Eldredge
- So Long Insecurity by Beth Moore
- Praying for Your Husband from Head to Toe by Sharon Jaynes
- How We Love by Milan & Kay Yerkovich
- Sacred Marriage by Gary Thomas
- 52 Things Husbands Need from Their Wives by Jay Payleitner
- The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman
- When Couples Pray by Cheri Fuller
- Boundaries by Dr. Henry Cloud & Dr. John Townsend
- Unglued by Lysa TerKeurst
- The Five Love Languages of Teenagers by Gary Chapman
- Sacred Parenting by Gary Chapman