The Called Stepmom has been nominated for the Sunshine Blogger Award! This award is given by bloggers to bloggers in recognition of their creativity, positivity, and inspiration. A heartfelt thank-you to The Joyful Stepmom and the lovely Emily Jordan for the honor.
Once nominated, a blogger is required to write a post that includes:
- A thank-you to the blogger that nominated him/her, linking back to his/her blog
- Answers to the 11 questions asked by the blogger who nominated him/her
- Nominate up to 11 other bloggers and ask 11 new questions
- Notify the nominees
- Create a Sunshine Blogger Award logo to feature in the post
- What is your favorite part of blogging in the stepfamily/coparenting realm? I do a lot of technical writing in my job as an Executive Assistant, so blogging is my creative outlet. As you can imagine, words are very important to me…and being able to articulate God's love for stepmommas blesses me more than you can imagine!
- What made you want to start blogging about something so personal? The Called Stepmom is an absolute outpouring of what Jesus has done in my stepfamily. Anyone who has experienced the radical change that happens when you meet Him know how hard it is to keep it to yourself! Although I share personal experiences, it's not about me – it's about Him working through me.
- What's the hardest topic you've chosen to write about? I always have about a dozen posts in various stages of completion. One of them is titled Laying Down Your Dreams, in which I share about my decision to lay down my dream to have an "ours" baby. The topic is intensely personal for childless stepmoms like me, and I'm struggling to find the right words to finish it.
- What verse has helped you most as a stepparent? He gives the childless woman a family, making her a happy mother (Psalm 113:9). It's a constant reminder that God made me a mother…and nothing the world says about my role as a stepmom trumps that!
- What has been your favorite moment as a stepparent? Hands down, it was back in 2009 when I shaved my head for my stepson. He had been diagnosed with leukemia a few months earlier, and lost all his hair from the chemo. I got to raise money for children's cancer research – and honor my stepson's battle. It was a hard season but it was a reminder that we battled together.
- What encouragement would you like to give to a new stepparent? Everything you're doing for your stepkids matters to God. You may not see the fruit of it today, tomorrow, or even a year from now, but don't lost heart!
- What marriage advice would you offer to a couple in the blender? Invite God into your marriage and be a united front. If you can get these things in order, you're off to the right start.
- What's a fun fact very few know about you? I have a shell baby! For my 30th birthday, my husband and stepkids surprised me with a baby Sulcata Tortoise. He will live to be over a hundred years old and weigh 120-150 pounds. He's a little guy right now, and very spoiled.
- What book would you always recommend? Women at War by Jan Greenwood. Many of the conflicts we face as stepmoms stem from the struggle to connect with other women due to wounds, trauma, and spiritual warfare. This is a must-read for your relationship with his ex, his mom, and even your stepdaughter!
- Have you created any products for your readers? I love creating free printables that encourage and inspire!
- What's your next big project? I have a fun idea for adding a video element to the blog with quick, practical tips for stepmoms. Stay tuned!
Now for my nominees! Each of these bloggers has a unique perspective in encouraging Christian women in their marriages, families, and walk with God.
And my questions:
- Why did you start blogging?
- Where does your heart for the women of God stem from?
- What is your favorite topic to post about?
- What Bible verse encourages you most in hard times?
- What book is your go-to resource when writing?
- What do you do to rest and recharge?
- What energizes you?
- What is your love language?
- What advice do you have for women who are thinking about or just starting a blog?
- Have you created any products for your readers?
- What is your next big project?